Bottle gourd or dudhi or sorakaya is a watery vegetable. It has high water content. It is rich in vitamins A, and C.
It is also rich in folate, calcium, magnesium and phosphorus. For those who want to lose weight, bottle gourd is a wonderful diet because it is filling but has lots of water content and rich in vitamins and minerals.
Taking bottle gourd at least once a week in your diet is a great thing, especially if you are into to losing weight.
Bottle gourd halwa is a delicious recipe that we enjoy once a week. This makes a great dessert!
Here’s the step by step recipe for making Dudhi/Bottle Gourd/Sorakaya Halwa
By the way, this recipe does not include milk!
Grated bottle gourd – 2 Cups
Sugar – 1 Cup
Ghee – 2 Tbsps
Ghee – 1 Tbsp
Cashews – 7-10
Lauki Halwa preparation
Take a bottle gourd (of course!). I used the one from our garden (hubby’s home town, to be precise).
Peel the bottle gourd and grate it. If the veggie has visible, rough seeds you can remove them alone – but don’t remove the chunks.
Grate the bottle gourd. You will need about 2 cups of grated bottle gourd.
In a kadai or pan, heat 2 tbsp of ghee. Add the grated bottle gourd and cook well. As soon as you drop the grated bottle gourd into the you will see that the veggie will ooze out water.
You will have to let it cook in medium until some of the water has evaporated. Now it is time to add sugar. I used brown sugar. You can use white sugar if you want.
For two cups of grated bottle gourd, you will need about 1 cup of sugar. After adding sugar, give it a good mix.
And let it cook by stirring constantly. When all the water is gone and when the halwa thickens switch of the flame.
In a pan warm a tablespoon of ghee and fry the cashews. You should not burn the cashews but they should just change color.
Switch of the flame and top the halwa with the roasted cashews. Serve cooled.
Dudhi Halwa Recipe | Bottle Gourd Halwa | Lauki Halwa
- Main ingredients:
- Grated bottle gourd - 2 Cups
- Sugar - 1 Cup
- Ghee - 2 Tbsps
- For topping
- Ghee - 1 Tbsp
- Cashews - 7-10
- Peel the bottle gourd and grate it. Remove seeds, if needed - but not the chunks!
- Grate the bottle gourd.
- In a kadai or pan, heat 2 tbsp of ghee. Add the grated bottle gourd and cook well.
- Cook in medium until some of the water has evaporated.
- Add sugar and give a good mix.
- Cook by stirring constantly.
- When all the water is gone and when the halwa thickens switch of the flame.
- In a pan warm a tablespoon of ghee and fry the cashews.
- Switch off the flame and top the halwa with the roasted cashews. Serve cooled.